Sunday, August 22, 2010

Blisters Are Inevitable

I love hiking. I also like camping. I love exploring and seeing new things with my hubby and good friends. It took all summer, but we eventually had an awesome trip to Zions two weekends ago.

August 12, 2010: The Left Fork of North Creek (AKA The Subway)

I have some pretty awesome friends who were able to get permits to hike The Subway in Zions. We packed up, drove to Cedar City Wednesday night, and met up with a group of 17 people to get our adventure on. Bob and I only knew a few of the fine hikers, but we all got along really quickly.

The Subway was amazing. It includes a smorgasbord of terrain. You begin in the forest, move on to rock, make your way down a steep hill to drop into the canyon, and start wading in the river. Bob and his friend, Chris, were trying to find the way down into the canyon for the group. Bob lost his footing when the trail got ridiculously steep and rocky, and took quite the spill. His left shin has a huge gash down the front of it. Eek. Luckily, he was a sport and managed to press on through the rest of the weekend. After crawling down the side of a cliff, you find yourself lowering down via rope into more water, swimming through said water, squeezing through some tight slots, repelling down a rock face, and sliding down waterfalls. The hike ends by switching back and forth from the river to sand, and heading straight up the mountain to get back to parking.

I gotta say, I cursed that last ascend out of the canyon. After spending a day moving and grooving, the last thing I wanted was to hear my calves cry at the end. Other than that, it was a blast! We met some awesome people, and had a heck of a time. I can't wait until I can do it again! Please enjoy these awesome pics.

The Entrance to The Subway

A Tight Spot...

Beautiful Red Rock. Yay For Southern Utah!

Looks a Little Like A Subway, Eh?

One of Many Waterfalls

Adventure is Out There! (In the Subway, To Be Specific)

After our fun-filled hike we grabbed some [overpriced, but yummy] grub, and camped under the stars. Believe me when I say I saw around 10 shooting stars when I woke up at 4am to tinkle.

TANGENT TIME!

It sucks being a girl in the wilderness. Do you know how hard it is to take care of business without a toilet? If guys have to go, all they have to do is walk off the trail and go. Girls? We have to alert the whole hiking crew, find the perfect cover (usually in the form of a rock or tree), make sure there isn't anything poisonous or spiky nearby, set two people on guard and squat while making sure your feet are as far apart as possible so you don't get piddle on your shoes. We have to dig a whole, wipe and bury everything so the next hiker doesn't come across your little relief station.

Brother!

Now, back to your originally scheduled programming:

August 13, 2010: Angels Landing

Less that 24 hours after finishing up in the Subway, the crew (minus 4 who left after the hike) ventured into Zions to hike the one and only Angels Landing.

Buh ba ba BAAA!!!

We were all tired and sore from the day before, but nothing would stop us from conquering this mountain. I'm happy to say we all survived. Every year, people die on Angels Landing when they fall off the edge. I kept saying a prayer in my head that no one would get hurt. My prayers were answered, and we all did just fine. I love Angels Landing. Despite the fact that the trail feels as if you are going up an 80 degree ramp to your death, it is really fun...

Except Walter's Wiggles. They are the devil and NOT fun.

See What I Mean?!


Other than that, good times were had by all. Here are pictures to back up this statement:

Fall From Angels = Sudden Death

And Here's a Sign Just in Case You Weren't Already Scared

That's a LONG Drop!

Group "Goofy" Shot

We Did It!

I always feel so accomplished when I reach the end of a hike...especially one like Angels Landing. After you make up up Walter's Wiggles, the real fun begins. Chains have been bolted to the rock to assist you as you scale your way to the top. There are some places where one or two wrong steps could send you in a free fall off the cliff edge. It is such an exhilarating hike! I'm am always shocked when I see these young kids that parents bring up the hike. They must be fearless (I'm talking about the parents here). I have the feeling I'm going to be a neurotic mom. I don't think I'd let my kids hike Angels until they were at least 12...or 20.

Speaking of little kids, this couple made it to the peak with a 10 month old baby!! Are you freakin' kidding me? I was shocked, folks. The dad carrying the babe must be extremely sure of his balance. I would never, ever ever ever take a tiny squishy up that hike. Sometimes the things people do boggle my mind.

Anywho, the trip was a blast. I was sad to have to go home. I always tend to have separation anxiety from all the people I'm around on trips. Thank goodness I still have Bob here! Oh, and, it was good to come home and play with my Maggie girl.

No comments: